Thursday, April 30, 2009

AMAZING, FINALLY, and OUCH!

Thursday, April 30, 2009
Riley is such a good little sleeper for how little he is. I heard from so many people to be prepared to wake up every couple hours throughout the night. That isn't the case for us. The first couple nights after Riley was home he woke up twice during the night, but just after a couple days that stopped. He only wakes up once and I think it is so wonderful. He will normally wake up at 5 and then sleep again till almost 10. One night he slept until 7 without waking up once. I woke up that morning because he started to cry and noticed that it was getting sunny outside...I was so confused but so very happy. I am just so amazed that he sleeps so well and is just 3 weeks old. Hopefully soon he will just stop waking up altogether until I am ready to get up! :)

Last night his umbilical cord FINALLY came off. Oh I am so happy. I opened up his sleeper to change his diaper and it was gone. I was so surprised and so very happy. I am so happy to finally be able to give him a real bath instead of a sponge bath. He hates sponge baths...but I don't blame him. Who would like to lay there all wet and naked and cold? I certainly wouldn't! I sure hope he likes real baths. Finally after 3 weeks it finally fell off. It took long enough!

THRUSH! What a deadly word. Yes that is right. After everything he has gone through my baby got the deadly thrush. I am so sad for him. After about a week of nursing I started getting this sharp pain in one of my chest. I just ignored the pain. Then the pain started getting stronger during every feeding. Riley's tongue started turning white but just looked like milk residue on it. The pain in my chest was so unbearable that I just couldn't keep nursing. It hurt too bad. So I started pumping and feeding him through bottles. After about a week of doing that I tried nursing him again and the pain wasn't there. Well after a couple feedings it came back and so much stronger. Now not only was it a sharp pain but felt as if my chest was on fire. It wasn't only one side now...it was both. And it didn't only last during the feeding...it would last for hours. The white on Riley's tongue was getting thicker. I contacted my doctor and also the Pediatrician and they said that yes we did have thrush. So now I have to put some cream on my chest and give Riley medicine 4 times a day. He is already on acid reflex medicine and now he will be taking medicine all day long. Poor guy! They have to treat the infant and the mom at the same time otherwise we would just keep passing it back and forth to each other. For those who don't know what thrush is, it is a yeast infection that babies get in their mouth and it is passed to the mom into her chest. Oh it is so painful. My chest feels like it is on fire. They say that when the mother or baby is pumped with antibiotics that they tend to get it...and since both him and I were pumped with antibiotics in the hospital thats how it started. So hopefully in about a week or so the thrush will go away. OUCH!

5 comments:

  1. I had no idea that could happen! Ouchie! I hope you and your baby start to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ow. I don't like that. I hope it goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about thrush, but never experienced it first hand.

    I hope you guys are feeling better soon. Enjoy having your hubby home more too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #1 Its acid reflux not reflex, just like dana and ashlee say altimers for alzheimers or sam and samt
    #2 although it is a yeast its really a fungus(candida albicans). It is found on everyone's skin, but it just never amounts to much. He actually got it from you, then he gave it back in bigger quantities.
    #3 Thrush or better terms oral candidiasis is far from deadly.
    ALL IN GOOD FUN sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey thanks Dr Samt..... But Memo to family this Dr is the one that killed many fish in the first few days. Poor Peyton, and FYI Dana was calling it relux no reflex

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Lemon and Lime Design © 2010-2011 All rights reserved.