Wednesday, April 8, 2009

He's here.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009
We are so happy to say that our little man is finally here! Although I am so happy, it has been really rough on me. I still haven't been able to hold him. Let me explain. Well the babies heart rate kept dropping way low when I was only dilated to like a four. The nurses were able to get his heart rate back to normal, and then it would decrease a lot. There were very worried. After trying so much, they came to me with a worried face and said we needed to talk about getting a csection to get him out. I told him whatever needed to be done to make sure the baby was alright. They said they wanted to try something and that it was difficult, and it sure was. Remember that I got the epidural so I was numb from the stomach down. They wanted me to get up on all fours and see if it would help the baby. After much struggle I was able to do it and I laid on the bed on all fours and my body started shaking so much...but it was helping the heart rate. They checked my cervix and I was at a ten so they told me I would try pushing him out so I could maybe avoid a c section. The doctor came in and had me start pushing at 10:45 and at 11:08 the baby was born. I know I lucked out in pushing. The doctor had to get him out QUICK so they pretty much just ripped him out of me with forcepts. The baby came out and they took him away right away so I knew something was wrong. I laid there in the bed crying and crying and reaching my arms out to the baby as best as I could. They cleaned him up and weighed him. 8 lbs 4 ounces. Then they measured his length and he is 21 1/2 inches long. He has a major cone head because of the force with the forcepts so they said as the conehead decreases that he will be a little shorter than that. Then they told me they would hold the baby and let me kiss him and then they would have to take him away. They hurried and walked him over to me, I kiss his cheek, and off he went. I just cried and cried. My body at this point was in so much shock and every inch of my body was shaking. The doctor finished stitching me up and finishing what he needed to do. I stayed with my mom and Allen went to make sure the baby was okay. After about an hour or so I begged my nurse to let me see my child. She tried to help me clean up and prove to her I would be okay. She wheeled me into the NICU to see our baby. He is hooked up to machines and his head is inside of what looks like a fish bowl. It is so hard to see him like that. He sure is precious. They said that the baby barely has any oxygen and is not breathing well. At this point they were doing tests on him to know what was going on. They said that the baby was struggling with the long labor...I can imagine! 21 hour labor. I still have not been able to hold my baby, I can only look at him. Allen and I are leaving in just a moment to go spend time with him and to get more answers. They said there may be a chance that he will still be in the NICU and we may be leaving the baby behind. I DONT WANT THAT! Last night was the hardest in the world to go see him and I couldnt hold him and then they told me I needed to go to sleep. I just wanted to stay with my baby! I will post pictures soon and more of an update when we find out for more.

13 comments:

  1. Well, congrats Whitney! I'm sure he'll be ok. I'll keep him and you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers today. I know you'll be able to take him home in no time!! Congrats again for your bouncing baby boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad the delivery went rather smooth. I will be sure to keep Riley in our thoughts and prayers. I can't imagine going through all this. I am so sorry! I hope you get to hold him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I'm sure its hard to have your baby in the NICU, but just remember that it will only be a short time in comparison and its for his own good, to be sure that he goes home one healthy baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! We will keep you and your baby boy in your prayers. If it makes you feel any better, he is going through exactly what I did. My mom was in labor for 24 hours and they had to used forcepts to get me out. I was in the NICU for a few days, but a few days later I left healthy and strong. And my head eventually turned back to the normal shape :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO EXCITING!!!!
    Give Allen hugs for me....sorry it was a tough one-sounds like you had a good team to get you through it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you get to hold him and kiss him and take him home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Congratulations!! From mother to mother, you did a great job! He will be in your arms keeping you up at night and making you smile more than you knew was possible in no time, and hopefully in time for Easter. My labor was 36 hours so I know what your body is going through! Cant wait to see pics of the cute little man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your sweet baby. That sounds like that was a really hard labor and you got through it! I am praying for your little baby ..i cant imagine what your going through. that must be so hard. I know you and your little guy will get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Allen and Whitney, We are delighted to see our new great grand son! His grandpa Scott let us get on your blogspot through Maria's name. He is beautiful and I just want to hold him. To us he looks just like his dad. Can't wait to see him in 3D. Good Job!, mom and dad. Grandpa and Grandma Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is amazing!!! We cannot wait to see him in person!!!! I know you had a rough night, so sorry!! But today things are going better and our prayers are being heard and we are greatful for that!! Love you!
    Mom and Dad Bennett

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Whit! He sure is a handsome boy. I know exactly how you feel about getting on all fours being completely numb. My midwife had me do that for a little while when I was in labor with Landon. I'm sure you guys will be able to go home in no time. We are very happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my friend ... I completely relate. I'll be praying for you guys. It's hard to see your little one suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whitney we are so happy your baby boy is here! Sorry you had such a rough time but it is all well worth it! Congratulations to you and Allen. Your lives will never be the same with a precious baby in your lives. You are a real family now! Please give me access to your new blog! With my love, Grandma Van Oostendorp Sigman

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Lemon and Lime Design © 2010-2011 All rights reserved.