Friday, April 10, 2009

Update from the hospital

Friday, April 10, 2009
Everything is going so well. At first there were complications with Riley and I was really struggling, but with time things have really progressed. They took Riley away right after birth and was in the NICU on oxygen. They also thought he had a heart murmur and infection. They put him on antibiotics and was not able to be held. That night was difficult for me. They wheeled me into the NICU to see him a couple hours after birth and I just had to look at him and they said if things progressed that he may be able to be held sometime the next day. I just cried and cried because I just wanted my son in my arms and I didn't like seeing him hooked up to the machines and IV and stuff. They brought me to my new room and they knocked me out with sleeping pills. I woke up in the morning and was dying to go see my baby. Allen and I went to see him and to my surprise he was doing much better and they let me hold him. It was the best feeling. I can't even express how I felt...an overwhelming feeling of love. He was in a lot of pain from the labor and everything and was swollen and bruised from the forceps. They wouldn't let anyone hold him besides me when I fed him and Allen got to hold him for a short time. He was just too fragile and needed to rest. Late that night I went to go feed him and they had moved him to Special Care which is one step up for him. They moved him from the incubator to a bassinet and dressed him. I went to go see him in his new home and he looked a THOUSAND times better. The swelling went down and he was so alert. He now could be held whenever and I could spend as much time with him as I wanted. They said that he did not have a heart murmur and there was no infection but that he still had to be watched closely and stay on the antibiotics. They told me he would be at the hospital for a few more days but that I would be leaving that night. They told me that there was no extra room for me and that I would have to go home and drive back every three hours to feed him. I just cried and cried. I felt as if a part of me died. I refused to go home without my baby. I wouldn't do it. The next time I walked into my house was going to be with my son and there was no telling me otherwise. I just bawled and Allen took care of me. My mom pulled some strings after talking to anyone and everyone and they found me another room in another part of the hospital for me to stay. Allen decided to stay with me at the hospital. So we got settled into my new room and I continued to continually go to the special care to be with my son and feed him. Every time I saw him he was doing so much better. He started eating better and he was just doing amazing. In the middle of the night I went to go feed him and they had taken him off the IV and antibiotics and they said he was doing amazing. This morning they told me he will probably be able to leave today, when originally they said he would be here till Saturday. I am just so excited. They said that the doctor was going to come look at him soon and they would tell me when he could leave. AH I AM SO EXCITED I CAN BARELY HANDLE IT! Here is some more pictures of our precious little monkey!









5 comments:

  1. He is so adorable!I am glad he is doing better and that you will be able to take him home soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Whitney. I am glad he is doing better. It is really hard for a mom to watch their new baby have issues, no matter how big or little they might seem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handsome boy and patient mom and dad! Good luck with your baby boy and congrats on making your goal of being home with your baby by Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so glad things are perking up and going smoother! That's gotta be rough when all you want to do is snuggle with your new baby and you can't. Thank goodness you can leave sooner! You are in a lot of people's prayers Whitney.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that first picture with the pacifier. that is just so precious i will die right now.

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Lemon and Lime Design © 2010-2011 All rights reserved.